About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Opening day


I just got back from 24 hrs of some of the most fun I have ever had.
At a river not too far from here I have managed to procure a standing invitation to join a group of characters bi-annually in participation of a ritual known as "Fishermans Weekend"......the amount of fishing that usually gets done is debatable.
The "Fishing" aspect of the weekend is highly suspect as it usually has more to do with card playing, drinking, male bonding(ie: burping, farting), drinking , good food , jokes(usually dirty) , drinking , firewood, hockey and snoring then anything else.

YUM!

YUM!

YUM!
Quite often there will be drinking.
In the midst of all this good fun someone will usually manage to slip down to the river and wet a line ..and that someone is usually me.
I love the river that this festival of debauchery takes place on and it was through these fine gentleman that I first made her acquaintance.
I am forever in their debt for this.
Without putting to fine a point on it this river may have saved my life.
She was a tough old bird to fish this year....but I will take what she gives me.
The water was as low and clear as I have ever seen it for opening day and due to the nature of this water quite a bit of it was unfishable because the water was so low. I believe this may have worked in my favour as this year the fishing pressure was very light.It is usually a freak show.
I had to work for my fish ...but here he is.

Beautiful fella!
I only fished for a short period of time and it was all I really needed.
I got my walk through the woods and had a chance to savour the woods in the spring.

It was a great day weatherwise. Overcast and misty...cool ...no bugs (yet) and just a slight breeze.
The Trlliums were just nicely starting to bloom. In a couple of weeks the forest floor with be littered with them.
I had to hike in a ways to find fishy water that I wouldn't have to share but the only company I encountered were these inhospitable nasty old honkers.

I have had the Canada Geese actually chase me in the spring some years but this year I just got some dirty looks.
....being a Border Officer I am so used to this that it doesn't phase me. :0)
Euchre, Meat ,Fishin and Beer!!!
I am not above fishing opening day....and I hope I never will be.

I almost didn't make it this year due to leave issues at work and to be honest a lack of desire to fish for droppies....but I have decided to carry on this tradition of opening day if for no other reason than to share it with the cool people that gather up there.
My stomach is actually sore from all the laughter that went on.
Thx guys I needed it.
See you in the fall.
Now on to the DERBY!!!!

7 comments:

Coondog said...

Glad to see someone likes the smell of wildflowers, sounds of the river, sight of the wildlife, and the raw beauty of nature.

It is highly under-rated!

Jessi said...

those are amazing pics!!! beautiful!(the trees and the spider web -- not the group of farting fishermen....)

Trotsky said...

From paradise to hell...
Had Owen into Emerg last night...poor little creep has Strep throat.
Gerry has vertigo and is out for the derby.
..good thing I got my pleasant walk through the woods because this week is going to suck.
Almost tempted to pull my leave...almost.
Those Mennonite pies are unbelieveable!!!!!

BCM said...

Nothing like beer and gluttany on Opening Day - ;-)

Nice fish too. Time to dust off that GLX!

Trotsky said...

I am tying flies as we speak.....
My flies are hideous.
Is it possible to line fish with dry flies?
...tis my only hope.

BCM said...

"Is it possible to line fish with dry flies?"

Now that would take some serious skill!

Trotsky said...

I trying to work on a dry fly pinky.lol
I hope you guys are diggin UFO JOE...Owen and I love that game.
I added it to the bottom of my blog page.
:o)